Thursday, November 19, 2009

Early Electronics


Watch Early Electronics (1974) in Music  |  View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

Early Electronics (1974)

1. Inno 0:09
2. Turn On, Tune In 9:13
3. News 4:07
4. Morie’s Orchestra Rides Again 9:57
5. Final Wave 3:20

Morie's Orchestra is Todd & Morie and Ricky MacAfee in the background.

Created with Calculator & AM Stereo Receiver
Recorded with Lo-Fi Cassette Recorder & Tape
Tulsa 1974

Digitally Mastered & Edited by Pupaum
Chicago 17-18 November 2009

Art by Stevo In Yr Studio
18 November 2009

These are my earliest electronic music recordings and are quite historic for me for several reasons.
It illustrates my roots as a multimedia artist and my knack for exploring and discovering things not at all obvious from a fairly early age.

My brother Todd and I had my parent's old console stereo in our bedroom. Additionally, my father was a merchandise manager with Dillard's Brown-Dunkin in Tulsa and went on frequent buying trips to Asia. He brought home some of the very first battery powered portable calculators available to consumers and gave one to everyone in the family.

Somehow, I discovered that mistuning the AM receiver between stations, then moving the calculator around the tuner and pushing the buttons produced electronic tones and varying sounds based on distance to the receiver.

I have no clue what possessed me to even try such a thing, but that's me!!

Under very primitive conditions, using a very lo-fi cassette recorder near the stereo speaker and cheap tape, I recorded about 30 minutes of this electronic music.

It's important to note, this is over six years before I began to study electronic music formally in college and discovered who Karlheinz Stockhausen was. At the time of these recordings, John Lennon's Revolution 9 may have been the most experimental audio I had ever heard.

I think it is also interesting to note. I did this work before Kraftwerk released Radio-Activity or Computer World with Pocket Calculator! I find that a very interesting parallel of the foremost electronic music band!

No comments: